Friday, September 12, 2008

No Longer My Own

"If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth at the right hand of God. Set your affections on things which are above, and not on things wchich are on the earth. For ye are dead and your life is hid in Christ with God." Col. 3:1-3

"You should be at the movies with your friends; You should be out at 11:00 at night and your parents should be wondering where you are. . . " believe it or not, that was advice given me by my Grandmother who is concerned that I am wasting my one opportunity to be a care-free youth. And it doesn't end there either, she called my father the other night to let him know that I am "too good" and she is very concerned about me; after all, it isn't natural to want to be with your family, to enjoy being at home, or to have friends that are as young as 8-12 when you are 19. It is truly ironic that these concerns keep her awake at night and burden her heart, but they do. One of the conversations that we had during my visit with her in August was on this exact topic. She reminded me that I am only young once, "yes, but if I am seeking to be a responsible adult, shouldn't I be preparing now?" I asked gently. She didn't have an answer.

It seems everything beckons to us, calling us to enjoy the pleasures of the moment, regardless of future consequences. Our fallen sin nature stirs within us powerful desires to pursue our own agenda rather than to learn to take up our crosses and follow Christ, to daily die to ourselves.

When I find myself becoming discontent and losing focus I love to go back and read Colossians 3:1-3 as well as verses like 2 Timothy 2:4, Eph. 5:16, and Eph. 2:10 . I am reminded that I am not my own, my life is not mine to live for my own pleasures but for the glory of Him who redeemed me and calls me His own.

No comments: