Sunday, June 15, 2008

'Survive or Thrive?' Answers, Part 1

* As an introductory note, make sure that you read, "Survive or Thrive?" before reading the following.

I sent Miss. Jasmine Baucham a list of questions to which she graciously replied. Below are the questions and her very well articulated answers. Enjoy :)

Q. "What about college?"
A. Whether or not a family decides to give their sons or daughters a college education is up to them, but I'm not sure it's entirely wise to send an eighteen-year-old of either gender across the country to receive that education without the guidance and discipleship of their parents. Most often, there are just too many other options to justify that choice. That's not to say there aren't good Christian schools out there, and that college degrees are evil. But it's also not to say that following another course of action automatically condemns me or anyone else in my shoes.
Q. "How do you handle less than pleased responses when people want to know what you're doing and why? "
A. I just try to remain calm, and to realize that the way I carry myself has a lot to do with how people perceive my decisions. If I am imperial and judgmental, and if I frown down my nose at young women who haven't had the blessing of making the choices that I have, people's response to me will be negative and defensive. If I'm full of grace and humility, if I learn to smile a little, be joyful :), I might get the same horrible reaction, but I'll be able to rest easy, knowing that I responded with Christian love and charity. We must also remember that we're not in this for the world's approval. If we're staying at home just so we can pat our backs and puff out our chests, we're doing it for the wrong reasons.
Q. "What about extended family who are disappointed with your decision?"
A. In my case, my extended family has been disappointed with us very often, whether it be for the choice to attend an FIC, the choice to homeschool, my choice not to date... so it's nothing new! :) But I do have a set of cousins who have been very understanding, and who -after realizing the reasons behind my choice to stay at home -have even started to make the same choices, or at least respect my choice. Again, we're not doing this for the world's approval. Some family members are just glad to see that I'm content and settled with my choice (the one's who always ask if I'm still "okay"), but there will always be some who just think I'm "weird," and that's going to have to be okay. We have to have a thick skin, and be ready to answer questions. :)
Q. "How do you handle difficulties of going against the culture?"
A. My daddy always says that I'm ever ready for a war! :) That's my personality. I always want to have an answer for any question leveled against me, and I want it to be articulately and gracefully stated. I had to realize that my family are the people who will always love me, and that as long as I was honoring my parents and glorifying God through my choices, I had nothing to fear from the world. Being a Christian, I'm promised persecution in God's Word. I've learned that it's coming, and that when it comes, I ought to be ready for it. That doesn't mean I walk about with a furrowed brow and a harsh demeanor, but it does mean that I know where and why I stand.
Q. "When you are struggling, how do you refocus?"
A. I center myself on God's Word. I talk to my parents -especially my mom -about my struggles, and they pray with me and hold me accountable. I talk to like minded friends, and we pray together and laugh together. And I try not to take myself too seriously. Life's hard enough without putting myself on a pedestal. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going to continue these interviews? I really hope you do... it's a great idea! :)

Monique E. said...

Hello Keeper in Training,
Thanks for the encouragement! I actually just recieved the second interview reply and am posting it tonight, I hope you enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

well I think that the decision to go to college is up to the teenager, whether or not they feel that college is for them.

Monique E. said...

Hi Motorokr,
thanks for dropping a comment!
I would definitely say that it is not a sin to attend college,or that it's 'my way or the high way' because I do not believe either of those to be true. I did a previous post, "Life After High School, Part 2" wherein I tried to explain where I stand on that issue. Ultimately, I do believe that it is up to the teen and their authority (and I include 'authority', be it parents, guardian, etc. because scripture places an emphasis on authority) and I believe that both Jasmine and Cara echoed that sentiment. What I am trying to do though is ask, "why?". Why are we doing what we are doing and is there a way we could better use our time? Education is vitally important and I highly encourage education, but I also ask, "concerning what are we being educated? is there another way to receive such education?"
Well, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I think you get the point. :)